- 0 Comments
- January 12, 2013
- by Christine
- Sensory Disorder, Sensory Processing Disorder, sensory stimulus, shaving cream, Tic-Tac-Toe,
- Leave a comment
Children with sensory processing disorder (SPD) benefit from sensory integration or sensory building activities. These are great for kids on the autism spectrum. One such activity is of the kind that develops motor skills.
Sensory processing activities for kids should be exciting. The Shaving Cream Tic-Tac-Toe sensory building activity is a fun one for all kids and is very easy to do. It develops your child’s:
- fine motor skills, using both the whole hand and single finger movements
- hand-eye coordination
- strategy, as they decide where to place the Xs and Os
- understanding about shapes
- appreciation and enjoyment of textures.
Shaving Cream Tic-Tac-Toe Sensory Building Activity
- Shaving Cream
- Any flat and clean surface
- Items for the Xs and Os if desired
- Baby Wipes to keep things clean
- Plastic utensils to draw lines (optional)
- On a flat and clean service, cover an area with shaving cream. Let your child decide on the size. Encourage him or her to make the surface a square shape. If this is too difficult, use a square-shaped tray like we used.
- Have the child draw lines using his or her finger. This will create the tic-tac-toe grid in the shaving cream.
- You can begin playing tic-tac-toe.
- The Xs and Os can be drawn with your fingers or use items suggested below.
- Have patience and have fun as your child develops strategy and uses his or her eyes and fingers in this fun game.
If drawing with the finger is too frustrating, have two colored items on hand to use as the Xs and Os. Try colored macaroni or checkers or anything that can replace drawing the Xs and Os while still helping to learn strategy and staying within the boundaries that he or she drew. We used two colors of Fruit Loops.
For drawing lines you can also help them use plastic utensils.
You could also color the shaving cream using a few drops of food color. Let him/her mix it up for even more fun!