Free Support Services for Your Autistic Child

  • February 3, 2012
  • by Christine
  • ABA, American with Disabilities Act, IDEA, Individualized Education Plan, support services,
  • Leave a comment

Providing the right support services for your autistic child is very important. Fortunately, the American with Disabilities Act provides many of these services at no cost for the child. If you would like to avail of these free services for your child, you need to get in touch with the following -

1. Your Local Child Find Office

If you would like to have your child evaluated, you can contact your local Child Find Office to have him assessed at no cost. They will be able to assist in identifying your child’s disability and in connecting you with early intervention services that may be available for your child. These services are usually available from birth until your child reaches three years of age.

Child Find is a national program so you can be guaranteed of the availability of such services within your state. It part of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).

2. Your Local Public School District

If your child is three years old or nearing three years of age, it is recommended that you contact your local public school district to find out what programs your child can avail of. Your local public school district will work with you to create an IEP or an Individual Education Plan based on your child’s diagnosis.

Some of the programs that they offer includes the following:

  • Occupational therapy
  • Reading comprehension
  • Behavioral and sensory support
  • Speech and communication support
  • Hearing issues
  • Educational strategies for attention problems

Do not hesitate to contact your local public school district even when your child is home schooled or in a private school as some of the services that they do provide are available even for children who are not enrolled with them.

The only thing that you need to note however, is that the local public school district are not allowed to diagnose and evaluate a child for autism spectrum disorders. Your child needs to have a proper diagnosis either from IDEA or from a private practitioner.

3. Your Insurance Company

Unknown to many, several states have already enacted a legislation which requires insurance companies to provide coverage for ABA or Applied Behavioral Analysis. So, it is best that you contact your insurance company and inquire about your coverage.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>